With Iolo Williams
Monday 10th – Friday 14th December 2018
Setting out on the ferry from Kennacraig to Islay, we’ll search for Otter, Harbour Porpoise, Bottlenose Dolphin, Black Guillemot, Great Northern, Black-throated and Red-throated Diver, Golden Eagle and White-tailed Eagle.
When we arrive in Port Askaig we’ll begin our exploration of this diverse and stunning island. Throughout our stay we’ll search for Barnacle Geese, Greenland White-fronted Geese, Greylag Geese and the obscure species like Small Canada, Pale-bellied Brent and even Snow Geese in some years, we’ll look out for wading species, Scaup, Common Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Slavonian Grebewinter, Great-Northern Divers, Grey Seals, raptors large and small.
We’ll find seascapes and solitude, sheltered sea lochs, wonderful seascapes out to the Rhinns of Islay, mainland Kintyre and beyond to Rathlin Island and Northern Ireland.
- Co-led by Nature Scotland’s Ewan Miles and John Miles
- Join a small group for personal attention and ethically sustainable wildlife watching.
- Five days all inclusive professional guidance, vehicle transport, food and accommodation.
- We will showcase the island’s incredible biodiversity which includes the arrival of wintering Geese, Chough, White-tailed Eagle, Golden Eagle, Otter, Peregrine, Hen Harrier, Short-eared Owl, Merlin and many other passage migrants and wintering birds.
- We’ll explore a broad range of habitats including wetland, coastal, oceanic, estuarine, beach, dune, mountain and moorland.
- Our home on Islay will be a large traditional house, surrounded by natural beauty.
- Home cooked breakfasts (4 mornings) and packed lunches (4 days) using local produce, and visits to local pubs/restaurants for our evening meals (4 evenings).
- We’ll visit the RSPB’s wonderful nature reserves, Loch Gruinart and the Oa.
- You’ll have access to optional Stargazing Experiences in the evenings (weather dependent).
Find out more
T: 0774 395 6380